Fear of a Cancer Recurrence; An Emotional Conversation With Courtney Forget - WE Have Cancer
Fear of a Cancer Recurrence; An Emotional Conversation With Courtney Forget
A cancer recurrence is every cancer survivors greatest fear. In her return visit to the WE Have Cancer podcast, Courtney Forget talks intimately about this fear. We also discussed:
- How she went from looking forward to her ileostomy reversal - as discussed in Episode 43 - to loving her life with a permanent ostomy.
- Living with the constant fear of a cancer recurrence after having two "cancer scares."
- The importance of getting second, and even third, opinions.
- Her thoughts on being naive about her initial diagnosis and how she looks at her survivorship today.
- Why she's not a fan of ringing the bell at her cancer center after completing treatment.
- The role her husband has played as her cancer caregiver.
- The reason she adopted a Greyhound dog and why she's training him to be a therapy dog.
- The challenge of moving to a new city and finding a new Oncologist.
Links Mentioned In the WE Have Cancer Podcast
Courtney's first appearance on the Colon Cancer (WE Have Cancer) podcast - https://wehavecancershow.com/043
Pet Partners - https://petpartners.org/
WE Have Cancer Links
Follow WE Have Cancer on Social Media
Know someone touched by cancer who has an inspiring story?
About the Podcast
WE Have Cancer
Providing information, inspiration and hope to those touched by cancer.
Each year more than 12 million people will hear the devastating words "you have cancer."
In each episode of WE Have Cancer we share the stories of patients, survivors, caregivers and medical professionals as a way to provide information, inspiration and hope to those touched by cancer.
The host, Lee Silverstein, is a survivor of a rare form of pediatric kidney cancer and has been battling stage 4 colon cancer since 2011.
About your host
Lee & Linda Silverstein
In 2011, just four months after they began dating, Lee was diagnosed with Stage 2 colon cancer. A year and a half later, 17 days after their honeymoon, they learned that Lee’s cancer had spread to his liver; he was now Stage 4. Through numerous surgeries, chemotherapy infusions and assorted other treatments, Linda has been by his side. Despite cancer, Lee and Linda say unequivocally these have been the best years of their lives.
In 2015 Lee launched this podcast as a way to provide information, inspiration and hope to those affected by cancer.
Lee and Linda live in Florida with their Westie Terrier, Fergie.
The WE Have Cancer podcast is supported by The Colon Cancer Coalition - https://coloncancercoalition.org