Living The Role of The Cancer Caregiver, With Kandis Draw - WE Have Cancer
Living The Role of The Cancer Caregiver, With Kandis Draw
Kandis' mother succumbed to cancer in 2014. Not only was she her mother's caregiver she also was charged with caring for her younger siblings. During this time she was literally burning the candle at both ends. During our conversation we discussed:
- How she wished she knew of the resources available to support her during such a difficult time in her life.
- The importance of reaching out to people in similar situations as a source of support.
- The importance of self-care when serving as a caregiver and the enormous challenges she faced while caring for both her sick mother and her younger siblings.
- How her relationship with with her mother blossomed during her illness.
- The stigma in the African-American community around going to psycho-therapy and what motivated her to seek support.
- How she coped with her mother's passing.
Links Mentioned In the WE Have Cancer Podcast
Therapy For Black Girls - https://www.therapyforblackgirls.com/
Follow Kandis on Instagram - https://instagram.com/kandi_koated
WE Have Cancer Links
Follow WE Have Cancer on Social Media
Know someone touched by cancer who has an inspiring story?
About the Podcast
WE Have Cancer
Providing information, inspiration and hope to those touched by cancer.
Each year more than 12 million people will hear the devastating words "you have cancer."
In each episode of WE Have Cancer we share the stories of patients, survivors, caregivers and medical professionals as a way to provide information, inspiration and hope to those touched by cancer.
The host, Lee Silverstein, is a survivor of a rare form of pediatric kidney cancer and has been battling stage 4 colon cancer since 2011.
About your host
Lee & Linda Silverstein
In 2011, just four months after they began dating, Lee was diagnosed with Stage 2 colon cancer. A year and a half later, 17 days after their honeymoon, they learned that Lee’s cancer had spread to his liver; he was now Stage 4. Through numerous surgeries, chemotherapy infusions and assorted other treatments, Linda has been by his side. Despite cancer, Lee and Linda say unequivocally these have been the best years of their lives.
In 2015 Lee launched this podcast as a way to provide information, inspiration and hope to those affected by cancer.
Lee and Linda live in Florida with their Westie Terrier, Fergie.
The WE Have Cancer podcast is supported by The Colon Cancer Coalition - https://coloncancercoalition.org